Wednesday, November 9, 2011

This is grad school, grow up.

In case you don't know this, I am in grad school. I have an undergraduate degree in Business and Human Resources Management, and this does me absolutely no good in being a homemaker, housewife, homeschooler, or however else you want to categorize me. So, this semester I went back to school for a Master's in Elementary Education and Childhood Development.

This is GRADUATE SCHOOL. At a well-ranked state school, to boot. I know it's not Harvard, but still. Everybody in this program has completed a bachelor's degree, and probably did pretty well. They took an entrance exam (either the GRE or the GMAT) which was no cake walk. Most people in this program are either working full-time and supporting themselves while doing this program, or they have taken a sabbatical from work in order to get this done. There's a lot on the line for most people. 

Why, then, are people not paying attention in class? Talking, dorking around on Facebook (not taking notes about the lecture, as they are pretending to do), texting, and just generally goofing off?

The girl sitting next to me last night actually laughed whenever somebody answered one of the professor's questions out loud.

She laughed at somebody who thought they knew the answer and was brave enough to say it out loud.

One group of people, who tend to sit together most weeks and I secretly refer to as "The Idiots," routinely roll their eyes any time somebody asks the professor a question. They press for him to wrap up class early, and to postpone exams. They mutter under their breath and complain about it "taking forever" to get through a lecture.

Remember, this is Tuesday night. The class is scheduled from 5:30 to 8:30 pm. What in the world are you needing to do on a Tuesday night that can't wait until 8:35?

Last night, we were covering information that will be on our exam next week. We were running a little long, and it was clear that we were going to keep working right up until 8:30. But there is an exam- worth one third of our grade- next week. This is fairly important. And it wasn't like he was just re-hashing the same stuff over again, some of this was actually brand new information. The Idiots actually stopped taking notes, packed up at 8:25 and sat there, talking at normal-conversation-volume until 8:30, when they left the room, not waiting for class to officially end.

Six people, just got up and left together, apparently not noticing that the professor was still talking.

He defined a key term less than thirty seconds later. Then he paused, and promised those of us still in the room that this key term would be tested heavily.

3 comments:

  1. It shocks me how stupid people sometimes are. There's such a crazy sense of entitlement. I'm such a misanthrope, but that is just plain idiocy. Stick with it, and teach your boys the same dedication. It'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. I'm still in undergrad and I see this all the time.

    My mom's a grad student at the same school I go to. She told me that there was a guest lecturer in one of her classes this week, and people are texting left and right, while she's scribbling down notes like there's no tomorrow. The saddest part is that the lecturer noticed the texting going on; and the professor mentioned this to the class the following day. I cannot imagine being that rude in a class...ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine spending all this money and time on something that you aren't taking seriously! Plus, this professor is really awesome, and I just don't get why people are like this :(

    ReplyDelete