Friday, February 10, 2012

My new bedtime

I need a lot of sleep to function properly.

I know some people can get by with only five or six hours and be just fine, but I am not one of them. I need eight, preferably nine, to feel well-rested. Additionally, I have a very hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I usually wake four or five times during the night, and then spend thirty to forty minutes trying to fall back asleep, each time.

And that's not counting all the times that kids/babies wake in the night needing my assistance.

Luckily, I've made some headway.

I finally got my three year old to sleep in his bed, all night long. Turns out, he gets really, really hot and was sweating so much that he woke himself up. He also, of course, refused to sleep without a blanket on his body. So, we switched his blanket, eliminated jammies and set up a fan in his room, solving that problem.

The baby is now sleeping all the way through the night and not falling out of his toddler bed, so that's a plus.

Now, it's all down to me.

I don't drink any caffeine, and I follow all the healthy nighttime rules: no food after 7 PM, no TV in the bedroom, no screens within thirty minutes of bedtime, all of it.

I started taking melatonin, an herbal supplement to help me sleep, and it's been wonderful. I can fall asleep in about thirty minutes, and then stay asleep all night.

It is BLISSFUL!

So, now to calculate my bedtime:

I want to get up about an hour before my kids do, so that I can shower, dress, read some scriptures and be ready for them when they wake. They wake at 5 AM. So, I need to wake at 4 AM.

I need nine hours of sleep, plus the thirty minutes to fall asleep. This I need to go to bed at 6:30 PM, which is one hour before their bedtime, and right around the time I finish eating dinner.

I will never be well rested.

17 comments:

  1. I feel for you! I need nine hours of sleep to be at my best, which means I have to be in bed by 8:30. I get home from work at 6, and by the time I'm done with the things I have to do--like go through the mail, eat dinner, work out, I've got maybe an hour, if that, before I have to get ready for bed, and that's if I don't have activities at church or a blog post to write. And since I'm in the middle of several big projects, my choices are to make progress on my goals or sleep enough. So I don't choose sleep very often! It's frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never seems like there is enough time for sleep! I need at least eight hours of sleep, I like to hit my snooze for an hour (I was actually just going to blog about this!), so that is nine hours. I would have to go to bed at 8 pm to fit everything in.....never going to happen considering I get home at 6-6:30 most nights. Grrrr....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum needs about four hours sleep a night. Me? I need at least eight to be human. When I was working, it was about seven hours, which was doable but meant I slept until nearly lunchtime on Saturdays.

    Perhaps you need to do what my mum does with my niece - no waking Nanny up until the digital clock says SEVEN ZERO ZERO or there'll be hell to pay! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh you have my sympathy. I also need 8-9 hours, but I can't sleep before 10pm, and I have to wake up early to get things done... Sigh. Good luck with solving that problem. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on the never well rested! I can't believe your kids get up at 5 though! I think I'd be a nutcase if mine got up that early. 7:00 is early for us. I could probably sleep better and get up earlier if my husband didn't work crazy hours some nights I can never seem to go to bed until he's home, but we're talking midnight some nights. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It's fun to meet other moms of boys, especially if they're LDS and homeschoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on getting my oldest (the early riser) to go back to his room until 7. But he's only 5, so it will take some time, I know!
    Nice to "meet" you and I hope I'll see more of you around the blogosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I am working on it, and I appreciate the positive support :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, that doesn't sound like it's going to add up. Sorry! Hope you find a solution soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh. I don't have to work to balance in there, so my schedule is more flexible, for sure! I do often have church meetings that takelonger than I want them to, and I wind up pushing bedtime back even further. Plus, it's hard to want to go to sleep right after the kids go to bed. It's finally quiet, and clean, and I can do whatever * I * want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a couple of bosses who used to boast about never needing more than 5-6 hours a night, made me feel like my requisite 8-9 hours was . some kind of weakness. Ha! A twenty-year research plan I read the other day revealed that anything under seven hours is incrementally detrimental, life-shortening even.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting!

    I've always been the same way, thinking that my need for sleep was somehow a weakness. But there really is nothing I can do about it. Being ashamed of it would be like being ashamed of the fact that I'm tall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! I look forward to campaigning with you.
    And the sleep thing...yeah, well, after getting up at five in the morning through high school, let's just say I'm still catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Gina! It is so hard to get enough sleep when the kids are little. Hang in there a little longer. Like you, I need my sleep to function properly. Once the kids are old enough to get up and get their own breakfast (and not get into trouble), you might be able to sleep in on weekends - with any luck. BTW, thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sleep? Huh, what is that? I can live with six hours. I'm a light sleeper so usually end up with fewer. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Gina! Good to meet you. I'm a college student, so I don't get much sleep either. Being sleep deprived is a huge problem for me. I hope your schedule gets better once your kids get a little older!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stopping by your blog to return the favor!

    I used to be able to function on very little sleep. But now that I'm done with college...I really have no idea how I did that. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gina :D Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and looking forward to getting to know you...(

    When it comes to sleeping - I need 8 hours of sleep, I manage to get 7h30. Since I get up at 5am, I go to bed early but since I don´t have any kiddos, it´s easier and I usually sleep through the night...

    I am with Stephanie on this: I do not know how I managed to sleep less and function while I was still in college!

    Good luck to you! :D

    ReplyDelete