Monday, July 16, 2012

Hookers

I am terrible at opening lines.

The irony of that being the opening line of this post is not lost on me.

However, today I am participating in Falling For Fiction's Hookers and Hangers Blog Hop, which means I need to display at least some of the hookers (opening lines) of my novels.


These first four are from a contemporary YA romance, currently on submission with niche publishers:

I’m pretty sure I can think of at least six things I would rather do on a Saturday night than be at a school dance.  

It quickly becomes apparent that Eric is a man of routines.  

I don’t even have the guts to tell Lily where I am going.  

I look down at my phone, wanting it to say that this horrid, horrid day is almost over.    

This last one comes from my current steampunk YA fantasy, in the very earliest of the rough stages: 
Alice came to intrude on Sophia’s rest around nightfall, and while the girl was nothing but polite, Sophia found it incredibly difficult to do the same.

Like I said, I'm not great at opening lines. I do encourage you to come back on Wednesday, though, because my hangers are like WHOA. 
 

14 comments:

  1. I just really appreciate the graphic that accompanies this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're not bad at all, but I will be back on Wednesday for the WHOA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like "Eric is a man of routines" - makes me want to know what those routines are and if he'll ever break out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they 're really good. Will be back to read your hangers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be totally curious to hear her name the six :) Thanks so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked them. They are simple, but they pique the interest of the reader. Honestly, I am often times more lured in by honest intrigue than fancy wordage. How many times has a teen NOT wanted to go to a school dance? That screams teen emotional issues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have a really nice voice. I didn't want to go to my school dance either! They are all good, they've got me wondering about the rest of the story. I also like your steampunk one. I'm intrigued by that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My choice is #4. But the last one from your steam punk piece is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie SchmidtJuly 17, 2012 at 6:33 AM

    I really like the not having the guts to tell where you're going. Excellent hooks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like hookers as much as I like hangers. I really want to yell NO WIRE HANGERS right now and I kind of did but in a roundabout way.

    Anyhow, I think these are all solid. I would keep reading after every case. I'll be back on Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm curious what kinds of routines in #2...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice lines - I think my fave is this one: 'It quickly becomes apparent that Eric is a man of routines.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. That one is one of my favorite lines in the whole book, period.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too. I don't know who made it (though probably one of the gals at Falling For Fiction), but it's pretty boss.

    ReplyDelete