Monday, July 30, 2012

Top Ten Things That Make Me Feel Really Old

This past weekend, I chaperoned an overnight trip for the teenage girls in our church congregation. (I'm the Personal Progress adviser, for the LDS-Lingo-users out there)

Things that made me feel really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, old:

1. That song, "Call Me Maybe," that I thought was kind of like the current "Macarena:" you know... everybody knows it but nobody actually likes it...? Apparently, this is the best song ever. It was sung so much that I still have it stuck in my head.

2. At midnight, I was pretty much collapsed on my bed, ready to sleep forever, and the girls were all still running around upstairs. Literally. It sounded like they were running relay races around above our heads. At 2:00 AM, I went upstairs and actually said the words, "You don't have to go to sleep, but you have to stop running. Don't make me come back up here."

3. One of the other adults mentioned that she's leaving for Rio next week. The girls reaction? "Like, the birds? The movie with the birds?" When I explained that "Rio" is short for "Rio de Janeiro" and, yes, that is where the bird movie was set, they reacted by saying, "OH, Edward and Bella go on their honeymoon to Rio de Janeiro. Is that the same place? I thought that was, like, in Europe." Public high schools FTW.

4. Taylor Swift is, like, soooooo smart, you guys.

5. This conversation:
"I love to read."
"Oh me too! Have you read Twilight?"
"Yes!"
"You should read House of Night. You would love it!"
"I did! I totally loved it! It was awesome!"

6. I was called "lame" by a muttering thirteen year old.

7. While switching radio stations, we heard a Beastie Boys song followed immediately by an Everclear song. I was just thinking how completely awesome my day was going when a voice from the backseat spoke up, very timidly, and asked "Can we find a good song on the radio, please?"

8. A commercial for the I Heart Radio Music Festival came on, and apparently No Doubt is performing. The girls squealed about this "new band that just came out of nowhere and is awesome."

9. I thought One Direction was kind of new.

10. I thought I was hip for knowing the words to two of their songs. That is insufficient to guarantee hipness, though. I don't know where the cutoff is, but I didn't make it.


9 comments:

  1. I love it! I've just accepted that I'm never going to be able to keep up with the trends of today and I don't care. None of my students get my 90s music or tv references. The day I mentioned "My So-Called Life" and the entire class stared blankly at me was the day my soul died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wasn't hip when I was a teenager, so I'd have no hope now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. Oh my. I just...I can't. *shuffles off to find her cane*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did I put my dentures and my walker?? This post is too funny....I guess I'm old by these standards as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melbourne on my MindJuly 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

    1. Call Me Maybe is the biggest earworm of EVER. Little Miss A was playing it on her iPad about three weeks ago, and it's STILL stuck in my head. It doesn't help that any time I see the title of the song, my brain starts singing the chorus all over again... O.o
    2. You need to come to Melbourne. Like, now. Or at least in October. Because Everclear are touring and I have no one to go with.
    3. Kids are dumb, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are old. We don't feel it and we certainly don't look it, but we're officially old. I don't mind it as much as I thought I would...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed I feel the oldness creeping up on me. And you are hip. Just not in a 13 year old girl sort of way. Thank goodness or your blog wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This also makes me feel old; however, we are definitely cool anyway. Teenagers are never as cool as they think they are. Remember when we were teenagers and we were cool. Those things are NOT cool at all.

    ReplyDelete