Monday, August 13, 2012

Moving On

I deleted my Fantasy Casting blog today. If you only know me from this blog, and are not familiar with Fantasy Casting, it was a place where I discussed who ought to play the characters from books when/if they were ever turned into a movie.

I have to admit, it was more than a little difficult to make that decision. I had some really great traffic on that blog:
Thousands of pageviews per post, thousands and thousands of comments.

Of course, some of those comments are part of why I feel okay deleting the whole thing. A fair amount of them made me want to *headdesk* forever. Stuff like,

"You know that actor can't play a teen, right? I mean, he's like TWENTY TWO or something."

OR

"Ugh. That guy is not white enough to play Thomas."
(hand to God, this one is true)

OR

"Why did you pick all pretty people?"
(as if there are any genuinely ugly, or even plain, people in Hollywood)

So, despite the plethora of comments, many of them just made my head hurt, and I am not entirely sad to be rid of them in my inbox, if I'm going to be completely honest.

But getting rid of the blog is sad, still. Several authors got in on the conversation (or at least proved that they had read my blog by linking to it and sending hundreds or thousands of people my way).

Gail Carriger, author of the Parasol Protectorate series, mentioned me in a blog post. James Dashner, author of the Maze Runner series, agreed with my casting choices in an interview. Molly Harper got in on the fun and created her own fantasy cast in response to my cast (and, incidentally, we are now twitter buds and she is just one of the coolest chicks around).  Melanie Jacobson came around and commented on my fantasy casting of her book, The List, and Braden Bell created his own fantasy cast for his second novel, The Kindling.

Cassandra Clare somehow found out about my blog (thus the fact that Clockwork Angel is the most-visited post) and let me know that we actually agreed that Alan Tudyk would make the best Henry, and Cinda Williams Chima told me that Jason Isaacs (my choice to play her villain) was a better choice than anyone she had ever thought of.

Writing Fantasy Casting helped me feel connected to the book blogging and author community in a way I never could have imagined.

But it's time to move on.

Fantasy Casts each took anywhere from two to ten hours to put together, and I just don't have that kind of time. I have other things I want to do, and I need to let go of that blog.

No matter how proud it made me.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a really interesting idea, especially to be so established as to be getting comments from the authors. Sounds like it had maybe gotten a little too big, though? When something's not fun anymore we have to be able to let it go.

    ReplyDelete