Monday, March 18, 2013

Top Ten Movie Blogfest

The fabulous Alex J. Cavanaugh is hosting a Top Ten Movie Blogfest today. I have decided to jump in last minute. (I'm also going to copy Julia King and put my favorite quotes on here, too). Here, in no particular order are my favorite movies. For right now.

10. Grease. 
This one is my all-time, old-time favorite. I watched it every single day after school when I was in high school, and could easily recite the entire thing, word-for-word. You might call me "obsessed." You might. And you might get punched for it.

Favorite quote: "Hey, don't worry about it. If she screws up, she can always fix your hair so your ears don't show."

9. Avengers
A new addition to the list, but it's really just THAT GOOD. The super-comedy-action-flick is quickly becoming my favorite genre, and I think this is the best example of it so far.

Favorite quote: "You and I remember Budapest very differently."

8. Count of Monte Cristo 
This has been our go-to at-home-date-night movie pretty much since we got married. It has a little of everything, and it's one of those adaptations where I think the changes from the book were necessary and even made the story better. (I know, the line for floggings starts over to the left)

Favorite quote: "I swear on my dead relatives, even on the ones who don't feel too good, I am your man for life."

7. Elf 
It's rare that a holiday-themed movie is good enough to watch all year round, but this one totally is. I never get tired of it, and this is pretty much Will Ferrell's greatest accomplishment (and I'm a WF fan, so that's saying something). I'm pretty sure that if Will Arnett was in this, it would be at the top of the list.

Favorite quote: *ridiculously long belch* "Did you HEAR that?!"

6. Newsies
I cannot stress enough how much I love this movie and how much I think this was Christian Bale's finest moment, despite his apparent embarrassment of it now. Santa Fe is such a heartbreaking piece, and I just love that the hero is so deeply flawed. However? One of the worst on-screen kisses ever.

Favorite quote: "I got a hot tip on a horse. Sure thing." "Yeah." "Yeah. Not like last time."

5. Sherlock Holmes
This movie was so good that I sat through to the end of it even though I had confirmed that I was in labor. I had my baby less than an hour after leaving the theater, it's that good. (It's a long story, but I promise it wasn't nearly as dangerous as it sounds.)

Favorite quote: "It's not in your face it's in my hand." "Get what's in your hand out of my face."

4. A Lot Like Love
On the surface, it sounds ridiculous. Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet have a will-they/won't-they relationship that spans seven years. But it's adorable and heartbreaking and funny and just so doggone sweet.

Favorite quote: "I know how much you love Bon Jovi."

3. Dirty Dancing 
Much like Grease, this is one of those movies that I cannot remember ever NOT loving it. Also, like Grease, it is one of those movies that when I got to be about sixteen I looked at my mom and asked "WHY did you let me watch this?!?!?!" It's a good story, so long as you don't look too closely at all the statutory rape and illegal abortions and ethnic prejudices.

Favorite quote: Both of Baby's speeches. Too long to post here, but suffice it to say that I am so, so, so sad that Jennifer Grey had her nose done and killed her career. She was a talented actress.

2. Mean Girls
There's a saying among my internet circle of friends that there is a Mean Girls quote for everything. And there totally is. True story: The scene where Regina George compliments the girl's skirt and then says "That's the ugliest effing skirt I have ever seen." ... ? Yeah. That happened in real life. And I was Regina George in that scene. I'm not proud of it, but that line in the preview made me line up to see that movie on opening night.

Favorite quote: "Oh my gosh, Danny DeVito, I love your work!" or "You smell like a baby prostitute." or "Oh, yeah, we made your face smell like a foot." (this could go on for a while. hit me up on twitter and we'll trade Mean Girls quotes for an hour or two.)

1. When Harry Met Sally...
Nothing compares to this movie. Anytime I catch it on TV, it never fails to make me smile. There's just something about the friends-who-realize-they-love-each-other theme that just gets to me every time.

Favorite quote: "I'm never going to want this coffee table."

27 comments:

  1. Agh! NEWSIES made my list, too! I totally agree, Christian Bale's best work - it's such a great movie. I wanted to see the Broadway production SO bad, but never got up to NYC. Excellent list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mean Girls made my list too! SO awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of your favorites are my favorites too. Elf, Mean Girls, Sherlock Holmes, Count of MOnte Cristo, and The Avengers— oh yes, The Avengers.

    I was just thinking about Newsies the other day. It has been so long since I've seen it.

    And I love the song "Hopelessly Devoted To You"... I love to sing it at the top of my lungs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have very good taste, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really should be on all the lists! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard the Broadway songs on Pandora, and I just cannot bring myself to love them. Unnecessary changes to lyrics make me sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen six of your ten movies. Of those six, there's only one I don't really like. Of the remaining five, I think two, maybe three, might make my top ten. But that would force me to actually pick and choose a top ten, which I could never do. Maybe a top twenty... or thirty...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which one didn't you like? And which ones haven't you seen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherlock Holmes almost made my list! Too many great films.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grease is the one I don't like. I like some of the songs, but the movie as a whole... eh. And the ones I haven't seen are Dirty Dancing, A Lot Like Love, Newsies, and Elf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I guess I should clarify, it's not so much that I DISLIKE Grease, it's just that I don't actively LIKE it. It's in that fuzzy space between liking and disliking. Actually, I think "eh" sums it up pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melbourne on my MindMarch 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

    Having rewatched the Avengers for the millionth time a week or so ago, I think I can safely say that it's now my favourite movie. Also in my top ten? Mean Girls, Count of Monte Cristo, and Dirty Dancing. I've never seen Elf, A Lot Like Love or Newsies, the last because it was never released in Australia as far as I can tell. Now I need to go and make a proper list because my brain will be twitchy all day otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you copied me, I'm flattered. hehe A lot of Alex's peeps are putting the Avengers on their lists. It is a fantastic flick. Elf is an amazing film too. I love the quote or belch you posted. Hugs to Gina from me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great list! I've seen all of them. at least one ;) what can I say - I love movies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your leaving a quote with each movie..."You and I remember Budapest very differently."...very nearly became my blog title when I revamped it recently!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. southernprincesscourtneyMarch 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

    OMG! Your Mean Girls concept is spot on. We use the You smell like a baby prostitute all the time with my 19 year old niece. The snarky look returned is worth it - dont worry she loves the movie and totally knows we are kidding. We quote that movie ALL THE TIME. Love it.


    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Emily Rittel-KingMarch 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM

    Yay for Elf and When Harry Met Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That makes sense. I love it, but I know kitschy musicals are not for everyone!!! (Also? Yes, as I grew up, I recognized the blatant misogyny of that movie, but cannot bring myself to hate it anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for HOSTING the blogfest :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honestly, I love all three. Newsies is a very happy musical featuring teenagers, so it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I seriously LOVE it. And Elf makes me laugh out loud even though I've seen more than a hundred times (no exaggeration). Cheesy wrap up, but the rest of the movie makes up for it. Also? Zooey Deschanel is an elf. And A Lot Like Love is just only the most adorable rom-com ever. Which is surprising because I kind of think Ashton Kutcher is a douche, but he's really sweet in it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hugs back at ya! :)


    We use that Elf quote a LOT at our house (three little boys... oy)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hahaha! It's one of the best lines in that movie... at least of the ones you can take out of context.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I went to Disneyworld during the National Cheer Championships (accidentally... never would have been there during that time on purpose) and there were SO MANY baby prostitutes walking around. #Random

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sherlock made my list too. And i love the Count of Monte Cristo!

    Nutschell

    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. no one ever likes grease too... it was fabulous. walk and talk like a t-bird. :)

    ReplyDelete