Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What I've Learned About Writing Conferences Without Even Having Attended One Yet

I really tried to think of a shorter or less obvious title for this post but came up short. Have I mentioned how much I hate titles? Oh, I have? Well, then. We'll just move on.

I am attending the LDStorymakers Conference in Provo, Utah this week and my preparations have taught me a lot already, despite the fact that the conference doesn't start for two more days. Here's what I've learned so far:

- You need business cards. And if you don't know this until it's too late to have them printed, you'll have to do them yourself. And if that's the case, you'll need to buy twice as many as you think you need because you are a writer and not a professional printer and you will mess them all up.

- Writers are casual people and will refer to the shoes they packed as "really nice clogs." I don't have any idea what that actually means, but it bodes well for my feet over the next few days.

- You're never ready to read your work out loud in front of people, no matter how much you love it and no matter how many times you've edited it.

- "Business Casual" means something very different to artistic-type people than it does to a person who worked in banking for eight years.

- There are too many classes and, yes, you will want to attend them all. But you can't. So you need to pick.

- Checked baggage fees are bullcrap.

I'm quite sure the list of "What I've Learned After Attending A Writing Conference" will be fourteen and a half times as long as this one, so I'll just leave you with this for now.

Oh, and if you're interested in learning some of the tidbits and gems we glean from the conference, you can follow #storymaker13 on Twitter. (Yes, it's a very long hashtag. I'm not in charge of these things.)

No comments:

Post a Comment