Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Writing Process Blog Tour

The lovely Ranee S. Clark tagged me in this fancy-dancy Writing Process Blog Tour. And since the title is self-explanatory, I'm going to jump right in. 


1. What am I working on?

I'm writing a series of fairy tales from the villain's perspective. Right now, WAKING BEAUTY (a flip on Sleeping Beauty) is resting before I dive into revisions. I also got an R&R on SNOW FALLING (a flip on Snow White), so I'm knee-deep in revisions on that bad girl. 

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I'm trying to justify a woman who poisoned her stepdaughter and tried to have her assassinated. What these villains do is truly horrifying (murder, or an attempt at murder, and usually of a young girl) and I am finding a way to make that horrible action seem reasonable. Believe or not, by the time you get to it in SNOW FALLING, you can totally understand why a woman would do that to a young girl. 


3. Why do I write what I do?

This is sort of an extension of the previous question, but by justifying the villain's actions, I'm shining a light on the reasons why we do things. Brandon Sanderson always says the villain is the hero of his own story, and that's what's happening in my fairy tales. 

Instead of writing these as horror tales, I dug deep and thought, "What could make a woman do this? What could make someone think this is okay?" and it turns out there are a whole lot of things that could happen in my life, making me resort to all sorts of evil behavior. 

4. How does your writing process work?
I've written two whole novels, and the third in in first-draft-status, so I feel like I'm still learning my process. But it basically goes like this: 

- Get a new shiny idea. Mine comes in the form of a concept, with the main character becoming clear very early on.  
- Stew about it for forever.  
- Do a little pre-plotting and world-building. I use Dan Wells' 7 Point System, and basically use it for character growth and development. I never have any idea what's actually going to happen in the story - I just know how it's going to affect my characters.  
- Think I'm the shiz for being prepared.  
- Draft. (I draft fast- easily cranking out 7-8k in a day.) I use #WriteClub on Friday nights to make this happen.  
- Let it sit.  
- Cut the first 10-15K words because I started in the wrong freaking place.  
- Revise, mostly for pacing and creating a series of events that makes sense. I use a beat sheet at this point.  
- Send to alpha readers and CPs.  
- Hate the world for hating me. 
- Revise again.  
- Repeat those last three steps a half-dozen times.  
- Cry to Darci Cole and ask her to help me fix all the things.  
- Send to betas. 
- Revise again. 


Now I tag Darci Cole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment